How solar panels can power your electric vehicle

Matt and his family are really impressed with their new solar panels and electric car. The ability to generate electricity from the sun has thrilled the whole family, and Matt is deeply pleased that driving his EV uses zero-carbon electricity generated by his own solar panels.

They receive payments for the electricity they export to the grid via the Smart Export Guarantee (SEG), at 5 pence per kilowatt hour (kWh). As the cost of electricity is currently around 16 pence per kWh, it makes financial sense for the family to use as much electricity produced by the solar PV panels as possible, before exporting it to the grid.

In the first year since the panels were installed, Matt and his family have used approximately 3,300 kWh of electricity, both in the house and to charge the electric car. During the same period, the panels generated approximately 3,100 kWh, roughly enough to cover usage. However, only 40% of the electricity produced by the panels was used in the house or to charge the car, with the remaining 60% going to the grid.

Matt uses a smartphone app, which came with the charging station they installed, to monitor the amount of energy they generate and use. He always looks at the app to see how much electricity is being produced, as well as what devices are using the electricity they are producing. Since Covid-19, it has been easy for the family to adjust their habits to make sure they use solar-generated electricity as much as possible, as Matt and his wife are at home during the day. .


Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *