BILOXI, Miss. (WLOX) – As summer officially sets in, Mississippians around the world are experiencing the all-too-familiar scorching heat that comes with it.
With the state riddled with heat warnings across the board, this can make saving energy much more difficult for those experiencing the heat. However, Singing River Electric has a few tips for keeping homes cool while remaining energy efficient:
- Set thermostats as high as possible. The smaller the difference between indoor and outdoor temperatures, the less your AC unit will run and the lower your bill will be.
- Raise the thermostat a degree or two and use a ceiling fan to feel cooler. Turn off the fans when you leave the room.
- Keep exterior doors closed as much as possible. Keep blinds and curtains closed during the heat of the day.
- Wait to run the dryer and dishwasher after the sun goes down.
- Use a slow cooker or grill outdoors. Avoid using your oven, which adds heat to your home.
- Download the SmartHub app to view daily energy usage and make real-time adjustments to lower your electricity bill. singerriver.com/smarthub
For more energy saving tips, visit https://singinriver.com/ways-to-save/.
Want more WLOX news in your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Copyright 2022 WLOX. All rights reserved.