The integrated power and power sector master plan is expected to be ready by November

An “Integrated Energy and Power Sector Master Plan” is expected to be ready by November this year.

The Japanese company – The Institute of Energy Economics, Japan (IEEJ) – gave such an indication when a team from the company met with the Minister of State for Energy, Energy and Mineral Resources on Wednesday. Nasrul Hamid in his office at the ministry.

The Tokyo-based consulting firm worked on preparing the integrated master plan following an agreement between the government of Bangladesh and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) signed on March 15, 2021.

Ichiro Kutani, the IEEJ team leader, informed that his company plans to submit a draft proposed integrated plan by October this year to facilitate an open discussion on this subject.

After a meeting with stakeholders, the integrated master plan will be submitted in November, he told the Minister of State.

JICA Power and Energy Adviser Toshiyuki Kobayash and Bangladesh Presenter Taro Katsurai were present for the occasion.

Official sources said that for the first time, the government has decided to formulate an integrated master plan including both electricity and energy issues.

Previously, separate master plans were developed for the electricity sector and the energy sector and there was little coordination between the two sectors.

Nasrul Hamid suggested to the YEIJ team that the integrated plan should be the basis for a sustainable infrastructure in the electricity and energy sectors that will ensure a balance between demand and supply under a effective management.

The energy mix strategy should reflect current and future energy sources. It should describe a pattern of consumption in different sectors, including agriculture, he added.

Official sources reported that the Ministry of Power, Energy and Mineral Resources (MPEMR) has decided to formulate the Integrated Power and Power Sector Master Plan with emphasis on the “3E+S” concept, after responding to suggestions from energy experts.

According to sources, the “3E+S” concept will be continued in the preparation of the new plan to ensure “energy security”, “economic efficiency” and “environment” while emphasizing “safety”. .

According to the contract, the Japanese firm is supposed to complete the formation of the plan within 30 months from the signing of the agreement.

JICA, which funded the entire project through its grant under an agreement with MPEMR, said that in view of the need for a long-term low-carbon energy policy, it would support the formulation of the integrated energy and electricity master plan. .

The Japanese donor agency had previously provided the financial and technical support for the formulation of all previous Power System Master Plans (PSMPs) up to 2016.

Official sources said that the JICA consultant will study the country’s 8th five-year development plan, the 2017 gas sector master plan, and revise the 2016 main power plant and other relevant policies/plans.

It will prepare economic development outlook and energy demand forecast to 2050 with emphasis on energy efficiency and conservation.

In the Existing Power System Master Plan (PSMP) 2016, around 60,000 MW of power generation was targeted by 2041, in which the primary fuel mix was set at 70% from coal and gas, while the remaining 30% would be covered by liquid, renewable fuels. , nuclear and other sources.

READ: Bangladesh to formulate integrated energy and power sector master plan with emphasis on 3E+S concept

Official BPDB data shows that the country’s total generation capacity is 25,235 MW, of which grid-connected generation is 22,348 MW through April this year, while the remaining 2,887 is captive generation. , mainly produced by industry owners, exclusively to run their own industries.

The highest generation in the country was recorded at 14,782 MW on April 16, meaning excess capacity is 10,453 MW (about 41%).

Currently, 50% of electricity is generated from gas, less than 10% from coal and about 30% of electricity from imported liquid fuels.